[lbo-talk] RE:Russia privatization

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 01:51:20 PST 2004

I think this a continuation of the attack on Khodorkovsky. I think Cohen and Klebnikov are right: This is an attack on the system of oligarchy, not individual oligarchs, by the government. Khodorkovsky was chosen first because he is the biggest, the baddest and the hardest to take down.

What you are watching is the death agony of the oligarchs and the transformation of Russia into an authoritarian, dirigiste state-capitalist system, probably based on something like chaebols. Or that is my view.

We will see what happenes to the Yukos shares that got frozen. I think they will eaither be renationalized or given to a company that will serve as a proxy for the state (Abramovich would be a good guy to do this). In short, Yukos will become an oil Gazprom.

If I were Chubais, I would be worried.