[lbo-talk] Re: Re: RE:Russia privatization (Add India). Iin digest, 2177

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 11 13:39:10 PST 2004

Ulhas: I must simply raise an eyebrow at this: "India has been an independent and democratic (in liberal sense) state for over 50 years. That in a country with 1 bn people, great cultural diversity and poverty on a vast scale." I am sure that neither of us wishes to indulge in long polemics. but "liberal democratic" is surely not an adequate description of a state like India over the last 50 years, where poverty allows such ready vote-buying etc etc. Hari