RES: [lbo-talk] Keiretsu Capital

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sun Jan 11 15:03:51 PST 2004

> and ecologically toxic growth that we know of

I never said East Asia was the *most* rapacious or brutal or ecologically toxic regime ever. The core East Asian economies produce far fewer CO2 emissions and junk per capita, spend more on education and less on the military, and are far more egalitarian than the US. That's not a reason to fawn on Lee Kuan Yew, but it is a reason to carefully analyze East Asian capitalism for what it is, rather than for what US neoliberals would like it to be.

-- DRR

-On inequality data, I would like to disagree with you. While Taiwan is less unequal than the USA (Ginni 32), SK is only marginally better (Ginni=36) and Malaysia is almost as unequal as Latin America (Ginni=48). I will check data for Thailand.