[lbo-talk] 'Liberal Hawks Reconsider the Iraq War'

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Jan 12 11:32:28 PST 2004

i'm inclined to agree, but friedman's last two columns in the nyt, usual friedman fare in most respects, seem to me on their surface to have indicated significant changes in tack on his part.

he appears to be setting aside a penchant for bernard lewis/samuel huntington-informed clash of civilization-style analyses in favor of a view that political islam (sic -- he's started saying that) is not representative of islam or of muslims generally and that we need to engage and bolster moderates in the muslim world. true, this has so far only produced the "argument" that letting turkey into the EU is the key to peace, but it's not his old way.

has anyone else noticed this? or is it just my imagination?