[lbo-talk] The Tsar speaks

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 04:20:52 PST 2004

Well, yes. There is no "clash of civilizations" rhetoric in Russia. The standard line is that Islamic extremism (refered to as vakhkhabizm) has been imported into Russia by foreign interests in an attempt to destabilize the country, usually as a cover for simple mercenary and criminal activity.

Russia is not like the US or Western Europe, where Islam is seen often as an alien, threatening doctrine. Islam is nothing new here -- there have been Muslims in Russia for hundreds of years, and something like 15%-20% of the population is Muslim. In fact, one of Putin's first actions after becoming president was to invite Khatami to the opening of a new mosque in Tatarstan.