[lbo-talk] I'm Not Sorry Day in NYC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 13 15:12:57 PST 2004

New York,NY - Jennifer Baumgardner, writer, announces a campaign to amplify the voices of women who have had abortions. The campaign will kick off with "I'm Not Sorry Day" on January 22, 2004, a recasting of the Roe v Wade anniversary. Other events include a documentary and a t-shirt campaign.

"My generation was raised believing abortion was a legal entitlement, should we seek one. But the guilt and silence around having an abortion hasn't dissipated since Roe," Baumgardner states. "The message of the day is that women might have complex, or even painful, experiences with abortion, but they are still grateful to have had access to the procedure. For most, abortion did not end a life - it prevented a disaster."

T-shirts are also being produced that read, "I had an abortion." Local organizers in cities from Philadelphia to Grand Forks, ND, are distributing T-shirts and resource kits in their communities. "Ideally, hundreds-even thousands-of women will wear them at the big March for Women's Lives on April 25th" says Baumgardner. "It'll signal not just the 'demand' for reproductive freedom but connect the right to real people, which has a lot more power." Erin Wade (Handy Design Company) will design the shirts and materials.

Baumgardner is producing a documentary for "I'm Not Sorry Day" with Gillian Aldrich (a producer for Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine) to be screened during women's history month, on the Roe anniversary, as well as made available to local groups and campuses to use for public education. The film will reflect the voices that typically go unheard in this loud debate, deepening our understanding of our own reasons for supporting abortion rights. "I was surprised by the coverage of the 30th Roe anniversary last year," says Baumgardner. "While there was no shortage of organization heads articulating demands, what was missing were the voices of women who openly talked about their abortions. This is the central value of this day - the 'coming out' of women who have abortions."

The New York "I'm Not Sorry Day" event will feature the director Gillian Aldrich talking about the film, and t-shirts and resource kits will be available. The event will be held at Bluestockings Bookstore, 172 Allen Street, between Rivington and Stanton. 7 to 8:30pm.