[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry day...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 13 21:31:03 PST 2004

Kenneth Campbell lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:54:49 -0500:

>So, you know, to make this an entirely intellectual argument... or a
>game of "outing"... misses what you are doing to the people who have
>gone through it.

You are missing the point. There is a world of difference between "outing" and "coming out." Outing is what you do to others; coming out is what you do for yourself.

"I'm Not Sorry Day" is for women who have had an abortion and do not feel sorry, not a day for men who can't have an abortion, women who have never had an abortion, women who do not want to have an abortion, or women who feel sorry about having had an abortion.

Just as homosexuals who feel sorry about their homosexual feelings and experiences stay in the closet, women who feel sorry about having had an abortion stay in the closet.

Those who don't feel sorry, be they queer folks or women who have had an abortion, can come out of the closet.

Folks coming out as gay men and lesbians has helped to make society less homophobic and heterosexist in the long term, though some individuals who came out suffered backlashes in the short term. Women coming out as women who have had an abortion should help make society less abortion-phobic, especially in that women who have had an abortion outnumber self-identified GLBT folks.

The point is to break the silence.

Silence = Death. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>