[lbo-talk] Re: Benny Morris

Colin Brace cwb at lim.nl
Wed Jan 14 05:32:26 PST 2004

On 01/11/04 at 06:10 PM, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> said:

> a lot of people seem to have been taken aback by Morris' comments, although he
> has been saying these sorts of things for some time now.

I haven't read his "The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem" (only Finkestein's rebuttal of it) but my understanding, through Finkelstein, is that Morris argued the expulsion of the Palestinians wasn't premeditated but was "born of war, not design" -- it kinda emerged in the heat of the moment.

In this interview he is now saying that there was a strategy behind it -- atrocities and all -- and B-G knew of it and covered it up.

My question is: has Morris's position changed bcause he discovered new sources or because of his rather extreme swing to the right in recent years, presumably engendered by his disillusionment with the "peace process"?

Colin Brace | cb at lim.nl

Amsterdam

http://www.lim.nl