[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry day...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 14 07:01:17 PST 2004

N P Childs wrote:

> At 13/01/2004,, you wrote:
>
> >abortion its central slogan. Abortion is a medical procedure, not an
> >ethical issue.
>
> Every medical procedure has an ethical context, so all medical procedures
> can be ethical issues; abortion, inoculation, or ear wax removal. To assert
> otherwise is to ignore the relationship between physician/provider and the
> patient. Without an ethical framework that relationship is exploitive and
> abusive.

In the present context, it's the perspective of the patient that counts. It is up to the woman, on whatever grounds (including sheer whimsy) she chooses, to decide whether the fetus is a future child or a parasite. And there should be no social pressure on that decision. That social pressure kills women all the time. It killed my first wife.

Carrol