[lbo-talk] Indians, pioneers of property rights (for Eubulides)

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:19:31 PST 2004

I'm not sure what point Grant is trying to make. It isn't true that Europeans were the first people with "property rights," so what's the controversy here? Property is an institution that began with the transition to "civilization" several thousand years ago. As tribal societies developed big men to redistribute surpluses, some of the big men began to conclude that some of the surplus was theirs from the start -- a pretty natural conclusion, once big men were born into a long line of big men ancestors. This phenomenon happened independently at many places and places around the world. Europe, despite its modernization of the institution, merely inherited "property" concepts from some of these others places. So what?