[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry day...

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Jan 14 13:11:43 PST 2004

>Nearly all reasons for "choosing" to
> terminate an unwanted pregnancy really go back to >some ludicrous
patriarchal
> value that seeks to control the sexuality and >reproductive freedom of
women. ....> Abortion won't go away until the patriarchal values that make it necessary
> go away.

Huh? How does this work? Are you arguing that it's patriarchy that denies abortion rights _and_ that it's also patriarchy that provides abortions? It sure sounds that way. Personally, I understand the feminist argument to be that abortion will go away when unwanted pregnancies go away (meaning, pretty much, never). Anyway, how does patriarchy force women to have abortions?