[lbo-talk] Re: abortion

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Wed Jan 14 14:05:47 PST 2004

another vote for joanna's position...women certainly deserve, and need, support for what can be a dreadfully wrenching experience ...but i don't think a public display of what would be better served as a personal support group will help the movement for the right to control our own bodies...

in fact, what might come out of it, and might be even better, is a move to support women who have had the far more wrenching experience of giving birth, and then giving up their babies...there are many women who suffer years, and lifetimes, of mental and spiritual agony over having been forced, by families, youth, economics, or all of those and more, to give up a child they brought to life...

the pre-birth trauma can be painful, with or without the nasty images of a bloody fetus, supplied by both hateful and loving critics of abortion, but in giving birth, there is no scientific or ideological debate over whether or not it is a human being, and ending a relationship with a baby is far more difficult than with a fetus...lesser evil, of course, which is why we need to fully protect the right to plan, and not play sexual roulette.

fs