[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Wed Jan 14 17:30:15 PST 2004

Thanks Yoshie, for (mostly) confirming my inchoate impressions with real statistics! It would indeed be very interesting to know the incomes of the women who could not afford to. Given how many extremely poor people have children, and how many times I've heard middle-class people say they couldn't afford them, my guess is that for many - sure, not all - of those who picked that answer, money was a proxy for desire. That is, having a child was a financial burden they did not WANT to shoulder. Fascinating too that not wanting to disrupt job or education was so much more acceptable in Finland.

Liza