[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry day...

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 14 18:59:48 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:39:06 -0500, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

> Agreed. But there are those, like Carrol, who feel that stopping a
> beating
> heart and crushing a developing brain is no worse than picking your nose
> or
> having a wart removed. I'm amazed that, given the technology, these
> people
> still exist. But I'm not surprised.
>
> DP

I was born three months pre-mature (I surmise that as my Mom smoked when she was pregnant with me, I was in a hurry to pop out. She was a moderate smoker till she got divorced from my Dad in '79), weighed 2 pounds, fifteen ounces. Back in '61, it was quite miracululous I survived and didn't die after a few days like my Mom's 2nd child of a heart defect. Was in a incubator for three months. The cost of this if my Dad had not been in the USAF, and instead a civilian w/o health insurance for the family would have been crushing. Given all my railing against the military in the latter stages of the Vietnam War and afterwards (Contras, Grenada and all the rest), it's a bit ironic my Dad never tried to guilt trip me over the fact that Fitzsimmons AFB Hospital kept me alive those first few months.Needless to say, though pro-choice, I'm ambivalent. Isn't everybody? One of the few Clintonian rhetorical triangulations I approved of was when in '92 he said abortion s/b safe, legal and rare. Free contraceptives.

-- Michael Pugliese

From "Marx at the Millenium, " by Cyril Smith, Pluto Press. Footnote 5, pg. 178, "...The Three Priciples of Democratic Centralism...by Don Cuckson: 1 Father Knows Best 2 Not in front of the children 3 Keep it in the family.