[lbo-talk] RE: I'm not sorry day...

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 14 19:55:44 PST 2004

At 14/01/2004,, you wrote:
>In the present context, it's the perspective of the patient that counts.
>It is up to the woman, on whatever grounds (including sheer whimsy) she
>chooses, to decide whether the fetus is a future child or a parasite.
>And there should be no social pressure on that decision. That social
>pressure kills women all the time. It killed my first wife.
>
>Carrol

I'm not clear what you mean by 'no social pressure', we're social animals, every decision we make is laden with social pressure of some sort and takes place in an ethical framework of some sort. I agree that people harassing women seeking the procedure, physicians and clinics, creating legal impediments to abortion and so forth are unacceptable pressure.

That said, your point on the choice for the procedure being from a patients perspective is correct, and in current health care ethical thought, the most defensible perspective.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo