[lbo-talk] RE: I'm not sorry

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 21:08:17 PST 2004

--- JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
> Thomas writes:
> >I believe most women ARE sorry that they have to
> get
> >an abortion, but for whatever reasons they have had
> >make that choice. Am I wrong?
>
> Yes. I think your statement assumes that women who
> get pregnant
> unintentionally would of course want to bear a
> child, that maternal instinct is the
> default. But women, like men, may have other things
> we want to do with our lives.

No, it does not assume that. It assumes that having an abortion is not like removing a hangnail. It is more complicated than that and there are lots of issues and feelings around it. I understand that often women feel relieved about not giving birth. But I doubt that any (save those who are able to insulate themselves from their feeling and emotions by ideological cant) manage to feel JUST relief after the procedure.

In any case, my reason for criticizing the slogan "I'm not sorry" was not for reasons of ethics; I think that it is a political mistake. Like it or not, for a lot of people this is a very complex ethical issue and to put forth such a simplistic puerile slogan is to provide fodder to the Right. William Bennet should give thanks to the organizers.

-Thomas