[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:49:56 PST 2004

Thomas wrote:

>It is more complicated than that and there are lots of issues and
>feelings around it. I understand that often women feel relieved
>about not giving birth. But I doubt that any (save those who are
>able to insulate themselves from their feeling and emotions by
>ideological cant) manage to feel JUST relief after the procedure.

Who are you to tell women what women are supposed to feel after an abortion? If women feel just relief after an abortion, it's better for women in particular and humanity in general. We should create a society in which every abortion is safe, free, easy, and wanted by the woman who have it and every motherhood is a wanted motherhood supported by an array of state-funded programs such as health care, child care, paid parental leaves, etc.

Also, as Jenny notes, in a society that treats women better than the USA today, abortion will be Plan C, the third option after contraceptives and emergency contraceptives, rather than Plan B that it is now for most women here. In such a society, men will be demanding safe, free, and easy contraceptives for them to use, aside from condoms and vasectomy. -- Yoshie Furuhashi English & Comparative Studies Ohio State University <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 614-668-6554