[lbo-talk] RE: I'm not sorry

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Jan 15 14:54:14 PST 2004

Yoshie writes: "Who are you to tell women what women are supposed to feel after an abortion? If women feel just relief after an abortion, it's better for women in particular and humanity in general. We should create a society in which every abortion is safe, free, easy, and wanted by the woman who have it and every motherhood is a wanted motherhood supported by an array of state-funded programs such as health care, child care, paid parental leaves, etc."

Who does he have to be? I am thoroughly disgusted and tired with the idea that in order to "tell" someone something, you have to be of a particular gender, race, age, etc. We have a shared humanity or we don't. That's the first thing to decide. If the answer is that we don't have a shared humanity, then just fucking blow your brains out, cause that's the happiest ending you're going to get.

Moreover, he's not telling anything: He "doubts" that women feel nothing but relief after an abortion. That's as hesitant an assertion as could be made. I doubt that a woman feels nothing but relief too. But if that's what she feels, fine. I took up this whole thread not to criticize what anyone feels but to counsel against trumpeting certain feelings as a political posture 1) because it would not attract many women and 2) because it would strengthen abortion opponents.

Otherwise, I do agree with the rest of what you said.

Joanna