[lbo-talk] Re: Agamben: I Won't Go to USA

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Jan 16 08:44:43 PST 2004

``...I would like to explain the reasons for this refusal here, that is, why, in spite of the sympathy that has connected me to my American colleagues and their students for many years, I consider that this decision is at once necessary and without appeal and would hope that it will be shared by other European intellectuals and teachers...''

It would help us a lot for Europeans and others to openly set up an international boycott of the US, much like those against South Africa in the 80s. Not just because of the absurd travel routines, but also against the US foreign policy of endless war, bullying of the entire world, and its completely unchecked unilateral militarism. Boycott travel, boycott goods, boycott US staged events and conferences, etc...

Soros was on Charlie Rose last night and was very articulate in arguing with Rose and saying much the same thing---US has gone out of bounds. Certainly not news to me, but it was good to finally hear it said well, calmly, and with a great deal of convincing authority.

Of course such a boycott would be unconvincing to the righwing and its brain dead popular support, but it would provide anyone in the US who seriously objects to this whole nightmare with something external to point to and say, see, the rest of the world thinks so too. Not much, but certainly better than US demos that can always be ignored as marginal.

Chuck Grimes