[lbo-talk] "Ought" from "Is" (Was: I'm not sorry)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:10:45 PST 2004

It's a point he makes frequently, more or less formally. Here's a casual example, from an interview in 1998:

"Our moral nature is as much a part of us as our legs or arms. It leads to conceptions of justice which you can chart and refine. It enters into every aspect of life from children playing together up to international affairs. The reason people differ is because they assess circumstances differently. For example, we can look at the Russian invasion of Afghanistan as unjust. Or we can look at the Russians defending the Afghans from terrorists supported by the CIA. Americans took a similar view when they invaded South Vietnam."