[lbo-talk] AFP on WSF

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 16 13:06:11 PST 2004

Anti-globalisation activists head to first post-Iraq war strategy forum

Fri Jan 16,12:38 PM ET

BOMBAY (AFP) - Tens of thousands of anti-globalisation activists began the movement's first convention in Asia, the six-day meeting blasting off late afternoon with a peace concert by Pakistani band Junoon.

Opposition to the US occupation of Iraq (news - web sites) is expected to top a litany of causes during the six-day carnival of discussions, debates and dancing.

Mallika Sarabhai, Indian dancer and social activist, welcomed the delegates.

"We believe another world is possible and is urgently needed," she said, before introducing Junoon.

"I'd like to welcome a band from across the border," she said to cheers and applause.

Junoon lead singer Salman Ahmed raced up the stage and said "Hello Bombay" before breaking into a mixture of hard rock and Islamic Sufi mystical music.

"We wanted to show you not only cooperation but peace," he said.

At least 10,000 people crammed the venue decked up by a wave of flags, many bearing emblems of communist parties.

Among them were low-caste Hindus who marched across India, and Japanese pacifists who arrived in Bombay in a "peace boat".

The activists were to take part in hundreds of separate sessions and protests at the World Social Forum (WSF), which will end just as the rival World Economic Forum (news - web sites) of business and political leaders opens Wednesday in Davos, Switzerland.

Tibetan monks and Indian prostitutes were among the dozens of groups vying for space as a wooded exhibition ground off a Bombay highway turned into a carnival of impromptu rallies, concerts and theatre.

But the most dominant theme was anger at US President George W. Bush (news - web sites), whose picture in various forms of defacement was plastered across the sprawling venue.

British Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn, who was due to speak at the forum's opening later Friday, said the convention, which was held in the three past years in Brazil, would take to task US President George W. Bush and his administration's invasion of Iraq.

"Of course that will be the focus," Corbyn told AFP. "If we don't oppose war, we will soon be in another war."

Others due at the forum's inaugural include Iranian human rights activist and 2003 Nobel Peace laureate Shirin Ebadi, former Algerian president Ahmed Ben Bella and Palestinian civil society campaigner Mustafa Bargouti.

Jose Bove, the radical French sheep farmer who became an anti-globalisation emblem when he helped destroy an under-construction McDonald's in 1999, was mobbed by well-wishers as he emerged Friday at an activist "solidarity tent."

Smoking his trademark pipe, Bove vowed to use his time in India to ally with the Dalits, the 138 million people who belong to the lowest caste, although he acknowledged he would make only a small dent on Hinduism's centuries-old social hierarchy.

"We are powerless," Bove said. "But we are here to express our solidarity and to show our concern."

More than 1,500 Dalits, who took part in a month-long procession of rallies from four corners of India, danced and sang as they entered the main gates of the forum, with many wearing yellow headbands reading, "Dalits will make another world possible."

"The rally is just the starting point of our transformation," said Paul Divakar, head of the National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights. "There is anger in the community for the humiliation that we have suffered."

More than 78,000 people had registered to attend the World Social Forum before Thursday, when another 22,000 signed up on the last day, forum spokesman Gautam Mody said. But he said it was unclear whether everyone who registered would take part.

The annual forum was launched in 2001 in Porto Alegre, Brazil, to unite the movement that emerged during the sometimes violent protests during World Trade Organisation negotiations in 1999 in Seattle.

Last year organisers decided to shift the forum to Asia to broaden support in the continent that is home to half the world's population and gaping inequality.