[lbo-talk] "Ought" from "Is" (Was: I'm not sorry)

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Jan 16 13:11:25 PST 2004

I'd say it's a real stretch to connect this to the various conceptions of UG (said the non-linguist.) It indicates he believes in human nature and that moral principles are part of that human nature, but doesn't indicate that he holds that these moral principles are involved with/subordinate to UG. (I have a dim recollection of the man disclaiming any connection between his linguistic work and his political work in an interview in the _Chomsky Reader_. Standard disclaimer about my memory applies.)

If you meant that the man holds that there's such a thing as human nature, or that he holds we have innate ideas, then this is just pedantic quibbling. Sorry.

OTOH, regardless of how to best understand the relation of his linguistic and activist work, do you buy his line that "the reason people differ is because they assess circumstances differently?" Seems equivalent to saying there's no disagreement over principles, only controversy over their applications. It's of a piece with his "Just the facts, ma'am" position and, to me, as dubious.

Curtiss