[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] Tips For Limiting The KB Size Of Your Posts

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 11:44:38 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

Eudora gives sizes in inboxes and outboxes. Two things can add invisibly to length: 1) headers, which add about 1k, and 2) HTML coding, which can add 5k or more to a post.

Just so.

I heartily recommend Eudora (Outlook Express users take note - see URL below for Eudora info).

I think most super-sized posts are the result of folks copying and pasting web originated text directly into their mailer of choice (often a web-based widget such as Yahoo!'s) and simply pressing "send" without awareness of the post's heft.

Also, as you say, headers and HTML coding adds overhead so it's a good idea for everyone to set their default outgoing format to *plain text* when posting to avoid this.

For those situations when members want to post text from a long piece as a teaser to a URL, a bit of massaging using a frills-free editing app (if you're not a Eudora or Mozilla mail user) will give you the ability to edit for coherency while getting a stripped-down file size count before pasting into your mailer for submission.

Eudora mail application -

http://www.eudora.com/

DRM