[lbo-talk] Indology: Vandalism and preservation

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 05:25:01 PST 2004

Hi Ulhas,

You wrote:

Nationalism is no longer a progressive force in Indian
>politics.

I'm interested in the subject of nationalism due to the phenomenon as it exists in the fSH, where you can in Russia, e.g., have "Rossiskyi" nationalism (which would be identification with the Russian Federation), which I think is positive, or, on the other hands, nationalist particularisms, Russian or Tatar or Bashkir or Chechen etc. nationalism, which is very dangerous. Do you mean to say that the "Indian" nationalism that characterized, as far as I know, the Indian independence movement has been replaced by and large by Hindu, Muslin, Sikh etc. nationalisms that are centrifugal rather than unificatory? I think India and Russia, as huge multiethnic and multicultural countries, may have something in common on this level.

_________________________________________________________________ Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. http://wine.msn.com/