[lbo-talk] Mitofsky on Iowa

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 09:08:33 PST 2004

The point of the Iowa caucuses isn't who wins; it's who loses.

The caucuses are valuable for showing which candidates can field an organization. Since there is a relatively low turnout, it rewards candidates who might not have money but have a broad base of dedicated supporters who are willing to stand up for their candidate at a caucus. You expect candidates like Dean, Gephardt and Kerry and Edwards to do well. If candidates like Kucinich can't get 15% support, which is the threshold for getting delegates, it is a signal that their supporters need to look to some other candidate who has a chance and Kucinich needs to look towards getting re-elected to the House. If Kucinich did somehow reach 15%, it should be a big boost to his campaign (although the national media no doubt would find some way to play it down). On the other hand, if a candidate like Lieberman or Clark don't even bother to campaign in Iowa, the media should ask why they should get a free pass for writing off the state.

And I know Iowa is criticized (as is New Hampshire) for being relatively small and unrepresentative of the US as a whole, but at least candidates can cover both states on relatively modest campaign budgets. (Or, if you waltz in late, as Clark did, you can at least cover N.H.) And we should thank those Iowans and Hampshirites for watching all those political commercials and putting off the time that the rest of us have to watch them.