[lbo-talk] re: Indology: Vandalism and preservation

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:03:54 PST 2004

Aagh! Quit using Western countries as paradigms! :)

Seriously, though, no, they should not be "suppressed" or "written off." They (and the dominant group) should be aufgehobened into a larger group identity. (This is why Russian has two words usually translated into English as "Russian," one implying ethnicity and the other implying residency in Russia -- one ethno-cultural group falls into the former category, and about 150 into the latter.)

What you have in Russia is a land empire that expanded and swallowed up the indigenous peoples to its south and east, incorporating them as subjects rather than wiping them out or herding them onto reservations as was done in the US, and, occasional half-assed attempts at russification notwithstanding, for the most part did not impose the dominant culture upon them. As a result, you have 5 million Tatars, 1 million Chuvash and Chechens, about 600,000 Avars, 600,000 Bashkirs and a few hundred thoudand Buryats, and so on and so forth, all with relatively distinct cultures and speaking their own languages (they all speak Russian too of course, except maybe way out in isolated villages). Not to mention the Georgians, Armenians, etc. They all have their real or imagined grievances with the dominant culture and with each other. So as you can see the potential for ethnic conflict is quite large. The civil wars in the fSU have all involved violent nationalist particularisms (Romanian, Tajik, Abkhazian, Azeri, Chechen).

Oh, and yes, money helps. One reason why Tatar nationalism is so mild is probably that Tatarstan is the third-richest Russian region. Almost all of the board of director of LUKoil are Tatars, I believe.