[lbo-talk] Free Martha!

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 20 14:38:13 PST 2004

Nice piece, very funny, but I don't buy either the feminist analysis of her unpopularity or Doug's conclusion.

I think Martha's not liked because she's an obvious snob. Her accent, mannerisms, attire, dress, etc., all convey that. Her persnicketiness about food and decorating (and the extreme labor-intensity/leisure-time requirements of "Martha Stewart Living") also sends the message that nothing but "the best" is good enough for Martha -- and everybody knows what it takes to live that way: $$$$$.

I think her appeal is actually based on the social-climbing pipe dreams of segments of the working and middle classes, and that her unpopularity is a case of the healthy rejection of that by the majority, who see that Martha Stewart would never let rabble such as them them set foot in her house and that she doesn't have a clue in the world about the pressures and constraints of ordinary people's lives, despite her tie-ins with K-Mart.

I also don't think there's an ounce of feminist impulse, explicit or implicit, in anything she does. The claim that men resent her because treats the home as a business-place is ridiculous, a true reach, IMHO. MS does not treat the home as a business place. She treats it as a museum of self-display, just as upper-class wives have done for centuries. And her cold personality has absolutely nothing to do with shattering gender stereotypes. On the contrary, I'd say her ability to go through the motions of what she does without any genuine joy, yet to actually sell that mode of being as "a good thing," is profoundly anti-feminist. It sends the message that the conventional arrangement of upper-class households -- men off at the office and/or club, and joyless, isolated women making the home proper -- is something to which everybody ought to aspire.

Finally, this, too: Why should yet another multi-millionaire get to obstruct justice? If a common street criminal set up a similar fake alibi, s/he would get 10 extra years without the blink of an eye.

If the evidence of obstruction is there, then send Martha to jail. Two wrongs don't make a right.