[lbo-talk] Kevin Phillips: No Demographic Trend to Save Us FromBush

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:06:12 PST 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 04:31 PM, mike larkin quoted:
>
>>He had always believed that describing the world was one way to change it.
>>But thereís a bedrock of exhaustion in this book, the idea that mustering
>>facts and making arguments may not be sufficient to serve the dynasty its
>>just desserts. Heís not an apostate, exactly; itís the world thatís moved
>>on."
>
>Well, if he thought that a Keven Phillips book would change the world, he
>is suffering from a wee bit of egomania, no?

Actually, judging from the record, Kevin Phillips' expectations weren't totally unrealistic. Phillips' 1969 "The Emerging Republican Majority" was, as I recall, as much a catalyst of the GOP's wildly successful Sunbelt Strategy as it was an analysis of the phenomenon. I would credit Phillips with playing a large role indeed in creating the GOP-centric world we now inhabit.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!