[lbo-talk] Free Martha!

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 20 16:52:20 PST 2004

> Actually, I do not think it requires any particular feminist insight or
> feminist intent for Martha to suffer sexist double standards.

But that's not the point. Anti-feminist women are also victims of sexism, no doubt. The point is that Doug's friend claims Stewart is somehow a feminist icon, is somehow challenging gender stereotypes. I say that's complete poppycock. How am I wrong? How is MS promoting feminist things in any way, shape, or form? Sure, she's rich and a boss, but what is the actual direct message of what she does in print and on TV? I say the latter is pretty damned regressive, on both class and gender (hell, it's pretty damned white, too) issues. In my book, the latter stuff is the direct message that impacts her audience, and far outweighs MS's status as an independent woman. Most people who like her like her for her sly endorsement of shopping and social climbing, not because she's George Soros in a bra (which she isn't).