[lbo-talk] RE: The Invention of the Passport

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jan 20 19:37:42 PST 2004

John K. Taber wrote:

> I seem to remember B. Traven denouncing the passport
> in his early novel The Death Ship. He claimed it was
> invented after WW I, and that before then, one could
> travel freely among most Western countries.

Traven's novel "The Death Ship," was a response to the imposition of borders and movement controls in the wake of WW1. The main character in the book is literally a "man without a country."

One of my favorite anarchist sailing novels. Another example of this limited genre is "The Sharks" by Jens Bjornboe.

Chuck0