[lbo-talk] Free Martha!

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 20:31:58 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: <nathanne at nathannewman.org>

> And forget the part about how her prosecution is an attempt to
> legitimate Wall Street, which doesn't deserve such treatment.

No, I understand that point, but in some ways the "Free Martha" line distracts from that message. If she's innocent, the story isn't legitimation of the system but merely perversion of justice.

True legitimation only comes from policing actual violations of the norms of a system, real crimes in a system that itself may be a crime, but can define degrees of felony.

--Nathan