[lbo-talk] Re: Martha my dear

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 08:45:33 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

>>That's not "our" choice, really. She's the one getting all the column
inches in the papers and precious minutes on TV.

Thank god someone is aware that the question "what do we care about today?" is one which requires a factual answer rather than a normative one.

We on the left (by which I mean, nobody) need to understand (by which I mean, agree with me) that we will never achieve anything (by which I mean, I will never achieve anything) until we engage with the ordinary person (by which I mean, agree with me).

Not slagging people off for the entirely understandable decision to care more about famous blonde women who we can make jokes about cell-decorating, rather than constantly thinking of nothing other than generic oppressed Everyman would seem to me like a decent start. A quick glance at the tabloid newspaper market reveals that, on the issue of "More interesting: Martha Stewart or Trade Unions?", the working class agrees with me on this one.

dd

=====

________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html