[lbo-talk] Imperialism & Exploitation

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jan 21 17:28:38 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

> Yes, it is, if it involves net surplus value transfer
> under coercive conditions (hereassummed in the miserty
> bit). When he cared about these thinggs, Roemer used
> to say taht this kind of example showed that
> exploitation is not the problem with capitalism; the
> problem is inequality -- thar the conditions are
> coercive. jks

I'm pretty sure Marx himself saw that, though I don't have the passage I'm thinking of handy.

Not that this is directly related, but a general question for the list: in what respects do you think the capitalist Western European social democracies differ from a realizable ideal socio-political order?

-- Luke