[lbo-talk] Dean's Self-Demolition/morris' fog of war

JT Ramsay ramsay_jt at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:31:27 PST 2004

here's an article that describes how a philly rock critic viewed his participation in the iowa campaign for dean:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/cover/

overall though i can't say that dean's organizing really grabbed a stable base. from the band the trouble with sweeney (who played a dean rally this summer) to my girlfriend's boss (who's been donating a couple hundred dollars a pay period), everyone seems to have immediately sought the frontrunner, whether it will be clark, edwards, or kerry.

i may be paraphrasing an imaginary poster, but i too feel that he mobilized groups that aren't usually politically attentive; however, the democratic party doesn't have any stable presence to support such an effort. and overall it's a return to cynicism among those momentarily politicized youth. i think it comes across in valania's florid prose (he's an aging wilco fan for context). and even valania parachutes out of the plane at the end.

also: just saw errol morris' *the fog of war* at its philly screening. i'm amazed at how many people my age or younger were fascinated by mcnamara. has anyone else seen this movie?

jt. r

_________________________________________________________________ Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here. https://broadband.msn.com