[lbo-talk] Re: Undecided Until the Last Minute Re: Dean's Self-Demolition

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Jan 22 16:38:47 PST 2004

On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 06:28 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The cases of Iran (1979), Yugoslavia (2000), and Venezuela (long
> drawn-out contests for power between Bolivarians and Golpistas,
> involving demonstrations, lockouts, a coup & a counter-coup, etc.) are
> urban-centered "regime changes" in already modern nations, quite
> unlike, for instance, the cases of the Chinese and Vietnamese
> revolutions, which constitute the images of "Third-World revolutions"
> in many people's minds. It's a mistake to homogenize all nations
> outside the circle of the USA, Western Europe, and Japan as the "Third
> World."
>
> Also, culturally speaking, the USA is farther away from Sweden than
> from pre-revolutionary Iran. :->
>
> In any case, if there is no Plan B in the event of a Bush victory, the
> "Anybody But Bush" crowd should be renamed the "Any Democrat But Bush"
> crowd, and ADBB should confess that they can very well live with
> Republicans for four more years or even longer, despite what they say
> to Greens and other independents.

A "long-drawn-out contest for power" of the types you refer to, even if it were started bright and early tomorrow morning, would probably take considerably longer than the 4 years Bush would be in office were he to be re-elected. (And I question the relevance of the Iran, Yogoslavia, and Venezuela cases to the U.S. in 2004, in any case.) What "Plan B" would you suggest that would actually prevent Bush from being re-elected 9 months from now, other than the Democrats' running a winning candidate? I can think of only one, and I doubt that you are advocating that.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)