[lbo-talk] Re: Undecided Until the Last Minute Re:Dean'sSelf-Demolition

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 23 12:40:44 PST 2004

> And incidentally, if 2005 under Bush _does_ constitute a real crisis --
> those best prepared to respond would be those who worked on organizing
> outside the electoral arena this year.

This attempt at self-congratulation is hooey. Why would you be better prepared to respond to the coming eco-social crisis because you ignored an election? I can just picture you at your "movement" meetings, didactically claiming your right to leadership because of your years in your group. Martin Luther King, age 25, had been in Montgomery for about six months before he was put atop the MIA.

BTW, the civil rights movement would never have happened without the organizing tradition, but it also wouldn't have happened without Brown v. Board of Education. Movements are primary, but they are not Prometheus. Elections and courts and parties matter, too.