[lbo-talk] "Big Government Bush." (was: Activism )

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 25 10:31:54 PST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:59:13 EST, <SergioL652 at aol.com> wrote:

In a message dated 1/25/2004 9:59:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, debsian at pacbell.net writes: that, for example funding at the US Dept. of Education is up 70%. EPA as well, though not by that much! Kind of misleading. The budget mey be up, but congrtional set-asides amkes it so that there is actually about 20-30% less operating budget. We can't get $ for travel or training and we are cutting contracts like crazy just to keep the FTEs we have.

Sergio

(Steve, I have e-mail stripper. I am discontinuing that weird quoting style I have used where I go like so...Karl Marx>...A spectre is haunting Europe...) as too many have told me it confuses them...what am I saying? What are they saying...?)

Heh, wasn't trying to imply that at any of the civilian, non-NSDAP police state depts., that levels of increased funding (like the uptick of 20+% at the federal dept. of education, due, mostly, I assume, to the, "No Child Left Behind Act, " which lots of rural and inner city teachers and admins. are not in favor of, in my observation, and from queries to public school teachers, I know here in Ca., NYC and rural Colorado and Iowa, where I have extended family who are school teachers, from whom I have spoken with.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Big+Government+Bush

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/politics/25CONS.html "A Concerned Bloc of Republicans Wonders Whether Bush Is Conservative Enough." http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/22/politics/22FISC.html "Conservative Republicans Push for Slowdown in U.S. Spending." http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_bartlett/bartlett090803.asp http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=S') 8%20%2FQA%2B%24!0%23T%0A http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20030718-040025-1117r.htm

Ahem, CATO Inst. #/%'ers so, fwiw! And these combine Clinton FY's and Dubya. http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=a19dbe95- fa2d-4e4e-ac2e-333ef16a8b46 U.S. FEDERAL SPENDING SINCE REPUBLICANS TOOK CONTROL OF CONGRESS: Annual increase in total federal outlays, excluding interest:

In billions of dollars:

1990: 94

1991: 61

1992: 53

1993: 28

1994: 48

1995: 25

1996: 36

1997: 37

1998: 55

1999: 60

2000: 94

2001: 92

2002: 182

2003: 173

2004: 224

U.S. FEDERAL SPENDING SINCE REPUBLICANS TOOK CONTROL OF CONGRESS: Growth in outlays by federal department under the Republicans, FY1995-FY2004:

Justice: 125%

Labor: 99%

Education: 94%

Health: 80%

Commerce: 71%

State: 66%

Veteran Affairs: 63%

Defense: 50%

Transportation: 45%

Interior: 39%

Agriculture: 38%

Housing/Urban: 31%

Energy: 20%

Treasury: 10%

Source: CATO Institute

-- Michael Pugliese

>From "Marx at the Millenium, " by Cyril Smith, Pluto Press. Footnote 5, pg.
178, "...The Three Priciples of Democratic Centralism...by Don Cuckson: 1 Father Knows Best 2 Not in front of the children 3 Keep it in the family.