[lbo-talk] Re:internet insecurity

Frank Scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Mon Jan 26 12:55:02 PST 2004

thanks (drm) for making these points, but mine was a more general wondering...if this is a problem:

" Interception of data streams, transmitted via the public Internet, which could be decrypted and modified."

why isn't it equally a problem for money? probably because much better care is taken, by creating more foolproof programs...otherwise, why wouldn't individual crooks - or maybe revolutionaries?- intercept money streams, then decrypt and modify them to put money in my, your, or -heaven forbid - ramsey clark and answer's bank accounts?

rhetorical query, of course...because they -authority-control central - make it very hard, if not impossible to do so...so why not do the same for voting?

we can electronically program missiles to bomb cities and dollars to bomb economies, but we cannot program votes to be cast and counted, say, from home, a post office, a train or plane, even, withpout keeping the progam as safe as the one to bomb?

obviously, my point is that it is no more a matter of electronics than war is a matter of computers...make the democratic demand for foolproof voting programs, rather than, say, a mars probe or a death ray, and we get such a program...no problem at all to create it, once we hire, or even order, the programmers to do so....no?

fs

--