[lbo-talk] RE: NASA

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 17:51:33 PST 2004

Hmmm.

Lots of hostility to space exploration I see.

I don't understand. It seems to me that sending probes to planets in our solar system is the logical next step to observing them from afar via telescopes. We have the rockets, the computing power, the navigational ability, why not send a little robot to be our eyes and ears?

Why is observation legitimate and visiting using relatively inexpensive machines not?

I understand that the 870 mil spent on "Spirit" and "Opportunity" would be better spent on food or books or some other Earthly need. But that's not really the choice is it? There is, as near as I can tell, no all-or-nothing game being played here.

And regarding the maturity of space scientists...

I believe it was Jon who commented that the NASA scientists and engineers associated with the probe missions are folks who were enthusiasts as youngsters and "never grew up."

I don't understand.

Are they immature because they're scientists and not, I don't know, accountants? You mentioned your appreciation of "Star Trek". It seems odd to enjoy the exploits of fictional crew on a fictional craft but come down so hard on real people accomplishing real things of lasting intellectual / scientific value.

Everything that's done with science and technology is not a reflection of male inadequacy or American pathologies (or, the amalgam everyone loves to warm over and over again like last week's meatloaf, the pathologies of the inadequate American male) or other venerable leftie preoccupations.

It fascinates me that those distant places, which to our ancestors were simply lights in the sky are becoming quite real to us.

I don't care for the manned missions, but the robots are the real deal.

But I suppose I'm nearly alone in this opinion.

DRM