[lbo-talk] RE: NASA

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 19:08:32 PST 2004

>... what's wrong with exploring space? There's a lot of cool stuff out
>there. Yeah, it's mixed up with a lot of other crap, but can't we strip
>away the crap and just enjoy the sublimity & the learning?
>
>Doug

Certainly. With the unaided eye you can see 2000 stars from any spot on earth. For a modest price, you can buy binoculars and see 50,000 stars. If you spend a bit more, you can get a 2-inch telescope and see 300,000 stars. Splurge on a 16-inch telescope and you can see whole galaxies -- 50,000 to 100,000 of them with billions of stars each.

So, there's sublimity and learning aplenty at our fingertips. But I think its silly to squander billions of dollars on NASA's deep-space boondoggles.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963