[lbo-talk] Is India Exploited by imperialism?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 27 06:49:12 PST 2004

Alexandre:
> -Not a regime I would like to live under, would you? By contrast, the
> Japanese colonialism in Korea and Taiwan, brutal as it was, seem to
have
> resulted in some improvements in the economy. The same thing could be
> said about the Russia empire, where the periphery in some cases had
> better living standards than the Russians themselves.

That seem to suggest that the form of colonialism does matter. The British rule tended to be indirect, relying on local elites for control and exploitation of the local population, whereas other powers - France, Japan, Germany (in Tanganyika) or Russia relied more on direct measures. The net effect of these differences is that the British-style colonial rule could strengthen landed elites whereas the direct rule weakened the local elites, landed or otherwise.

Since the landed elites are almost invariably the major obstacle to industrialization, breaking their backbone is the key to the development. That can be demonstrated by contrasting Taiwan and S. Korea (landed elites gotten rid off) and Latin America (landed elites in power). I think that may be also true to some extent in India, but another factor is the enormous diversity ethnic/linguistic/political diversity that dampens the power of central government (another pre-requisite for a successful development).

The bottom line that what really matters is the internal power structure in a country. External influences matter only inasmuch as they are exercised though those internal power structures, aiding some and undercutting other. That is true even in case of direct occupation.

Wojtek