[lbo-talk] What's In a Name? to Doug & Ulhas

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 27 08:23:26 PST 2004

>> Hmm, so what should good anti-fascists call it? I still want to say
>> Leningrad; St Petersburg sticks in my craw.

I don't know about the original names, but the Left Front is not averse to changing names. e.g. Calcutta and Trivandrum were very recently changed to Kolkata and Tiruananthpuram respectively. Changing Bombay to Mumbai is no worse than changing Peking to Beijing. Saigon is now Ho Chi Minh City. Hi Ulhas: that was why I made the final point. However, the context is the key I would suppose. & no doubt you would too. So, the Shiv Sena ploys & linkages to name changes - are a deliberate rent-a-crowd-Kristallnach-Dressed-As-Ganesha-whipper-upper - do you not think? Doug - I have the seme problem with respect to St Petersburg - although if I think Pushkin hard enough - I can just ahout swallow it. H