We See That Now Re: [lbo-talk] 2 cnn employees killed by resistance fighters

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 27 17:23:10 PST 2004

On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 07:27 PM, Stephen Philion wrote:

> Is that what all your arm waving is -- "satire"?
>
> --well, yeah, like it was that hard to figure out?
> oh yeah, and did i state that i really appreciate the sacrifice our
> boys are
> making over there, over there?

Amateur. Here's how the pros do it:

http://www.prospect.org/print/V15/2/hendra-t.html

Excerpt: The First Amendment does not give us the right to screech that young Americans are dying in Iraq so that George W. Bush can get himself legitimately elected president. It's a bald-faced lie that his bald-faced lies about weapons of mass destruction cost them their lives. Our brave men and women in uniform know when they enlist that there is always the chance they may have to pay the ultimate sacrifice. Their motives are never -- as we so squalidly claimed in the wake of the Jessica Lynch affair -- to get a higher education because the military is now the sole conduit to it for the two-thirds of Americans who can't afford it. What a despicably mercenary motive to impute to our heroes! And in any case, why isn't the re-election of an epochal president a lofty patriotic aim, worth the sacrifice -- as our great defense secretary has implied -- of a few lives? Why would this aim fill us with rage and hate, instead of quiet pride?