[lbo-talk] Re: star dreck

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 28 12:20:41 PST 2004

Dear List:

Jon writes:

> Even today, though, American TV audiences won't accept a series with non-American main characters, AFAIK. It's one of the last biases to fall (now that gays and lesbians are starting to show up).

Well, there is "College Hill" the new reality show from BET that actually has more than one black person in it LOL. It premieres tonight.

Below is a review from the NY Times.

www.nytimes.com/2004/01/28/arts/television/28HEFF.html

As for queers, the images are still sanitized (Will - who has nothing better to do than worry about Grace. Doesn't he ever get laid?) or caricatured (Jack -- more fey, but no less asexual).

Then there is Queer Minstrels for the Straight Guy, but we won't even go there.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister