[lbo-talk] Matters English: Issue 2289

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 28 19:01:46 PST 2004

Doug: "A British journalist I had lunch with the other day told me that Mrs. Thatcher has Alzheimer's. I hadn't heard this before - has anyone else? Interesting contrast between the U.S. and Britain - Reagan wrote a letter announcing his diagnosis and retirement from public life, while Mrs T just disappeared quietly.

re Mrs. T: Yes it has been bruited about. re: Differences: Well - she was pretty well pushed out as I recall by pressure of events. It was not that quiet.

Re: Hutton: To all in Blighty tonight: What is the general consensus in the UK tonight? Did the LEft blinker itself when a well established member of the establishment in a 1 man show, would rule & whtie-wash his own? Moreover - what does the Left & the Press gangs say re the 'chill' on journalism? Was this the long awaited reason to really & finally, stick it to the Beeb? etc.. H