[lbo-talk] India gives 300 military vehicles to new Afghan army

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Jan 29 07:51:16 PST 2004

THE TIMES OF INDIA

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2003

India gives trucks to new Afghan army

AFP

KABUL: India on Tuesday donated 300 military vehicles to Afghanistan's fledgling national army to help it in its struggle against the militants launching regular attacks on troops.

The delivery came a day after five Afghan National Army troops were killed and three others wounded in an attack by militants in the southern border town of Spin Boldak.

The donation of military trucks, jeeps and ambulances is part of New Delhi's contribution to rebuild the army, Indian ambassador Vivek Katju said during a handover ceremony at the presidential palace in Kabul.

"We are committed to the reconstruction of Afghanistan; this is part of our support which is going on," he said.

Afghan officials said they appreciated the help from India, which has been rebuilding its ties with Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban in 2001.

"The two countries have been good friends throughout history," said General Bismullah Khan, chief of staff at the defence ministry.

"Not only for this donation but I also thank the Indian government for their help and support during our resistance against terrorism," Khan said.

He was referring to New Delhi's support for the Northern Alliance during its fight against the Taliban, which was supported by Pakistan until the September 11, 2001 terror attacks pushed Islamabad into making a U-turn and joining the US-led war on terror.

Copyright © 2003 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.