[lbo-talk] Soviet Children's Picture Books, Etc.

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Jan 29 08:40:36 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> That reminds me of a situation several years ago when I was visited by a
> Russian family, mom, pop and a 4 or so year old kid. To shatter their
> naïve fascination with everything US, I wanted to show them the "real"
> US and for that purpose I selected the Michael Moore's video "Roger and
> me." I over-did it. During the scene showing the woman killing a
> rabbit, the kid got really agitated screaming (in Russian) "why is she
> killing the rabbit." True, rabbits and hares are considered "children's
> friends" in Russia, but any kind of graphic violence on children's shows
> would be unthinkable in x-USSR.

Umm, Wojtek, I hate to break it to you, but even children's shows and (obviously) cartoons in the US don't show real, live rabbits getting killed. I've never seen the rabbit-killing scene in _Roger and Me_, but I'd imagine it'd produce a fair number of disconcerted gasps in the typical US kindergarten class.

-- Luke