[lbo-talk] Soviet Children's Picture Books, Etc.

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:17:29 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> That may be true of PBS, but the level of cartoon violence and gore
> shown by the "gang of four" (ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX) was quite high, last
> time I watched. It was some time ago (the 1980s to be exact), though,
> when my kid was into this kind of stuff. But I doubt that things
> changed for the better since then.

Well, yes. But cartoon violence elicits guffaws from American youngsters while real, true-life violence elicits horror. I'd be surprised if the average Russian child was horrified by a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and I'd be surprised if the average American 4-year old wasn't shocked by the Roger and Me clip. (I'm not trying to suggest that cartoon violence isn't bad, rather, I'm just saying that your anecdote doesn't seem to show what you think it shows.)

-- Luke