[lbo-talk] Soviet Children's Picture Books, Etc.

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 00:10:29 PST 2004

I would like to add that the Soviets saw art in general, especially children's art, as an educational tool, hence the proliferation of 'didactic' and pro-social messages. As far as I remember, those messages were to the tune of non-violence, cooperation, mutual-help, love of nature, etc. There was no violence of any kind on children's shows, period. Unlike in the US where violence receives the highest form of glorification on children's TV (as aptly lampooned on the Simpsons - the Itchy and Scratchy show).

Wojtek ---- Tom and Jerry is currently on Russian TV, but I don't know how well it is going to go over. They keep trying to introduce American shows on television, but, judging by the short period of time they usually last, they seem to pretty universally bomb. The X-Files, Buffy and the Vampire Slayer, Married -- With Children and the Sopranos have all been tried, but all seem to have fizzled out. The only exceptions seem to be Sex in the City and the Simpsons, both of which have been big successes. And softcore dubbed-over porn.

They introduced Friends a couple of weeks ago. I don't expect it to last long.

_________________________________________________________________ Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1