[lbo-talk] Re: Soviet Children's Picture Books, Etc.

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 30 09:40:30 PST 2004

Dear List:

Chris wrote:

> Tom and Jerry is currently on Russian TV, but I don't know how well it is going to go over. They keep trying to introduce American shows on television, but, judging by the short period of time they usually last, they
seem to pretty universally bomb.

I bet they won't even try Will & Grace and/or Queer as Folk LOL.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister

Priest sacked and church destroyed over gay wedding row

A priest has been sacked, his church bulldozed and the wreckage burnt after he allowed the building to be used for a gay marriage last month.

Church officials in Nizhni Novgorod, west Russia, said that the chapel in which the men were married had been destroyed because the marriage ceremony had "desecrated" it.

Father Andriy, spokesman for the Nizhni Novgorod eparchy told the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper: "Father Vladimir Enert, who married the gay couple, committed a sin in doing so. He desecrated the place. We therefore needed to destroy the chapel."

He added that Vladmir Enert had been defrocked by Russian Orthodox Church officials.

The marriage of Dennis Gogolev and Michail Borozov in early September caused outrage among many Russian Orthodox Christians.

Gogolev had first approached Father Enert to arrange a marriage ceremony but told him he wanted to keep his bride's identity secret till the last minute because her parents did not agree with their wedding.

But he arrived at the ceremony with his boyfriend, Borozov, and asked the priest to go ahead with the wedding service.

Father Enert reportedly married the couple, despite initially protesting that he had been expecting Gogolev to arrive with a woman.